Cannabis edibles are one of the most popular delivery methods available to consumers on the market. With countless options available varying from tasty sugared gummies to cookies and full-blown meals, those that choose edibles may be interested in concocting some of their own goodies at home by making Cannabutter. This infused butter is perfect for anyone seeking out easy ways to infuse their cannabis without needing a degree in chemistry or years of experience as a professional chef. Making Cannabutter is quick, easy, and fun, so get out your apron and venture into the world of cannabis cooking with Bud’s Goods.
What Exactly is Cannabutter?
Cannabutter is butter that is infused with cannabis. Traditionally made on a stove top, slowly heating butter with decarbed cannabis buds, thanks to modern technology, there are now various methods for making cannabutter at home.
Benefits of Cannabutter at Home
Making your own Cannabutter has many benefits. First of all, it saves money. If you’re regularly consuming edibles, you’re paying good money to keep your stash supplied. By cooking cannabutter at home, you can add butter to various meals throughout the day, keep extra stores in your freezer, or prepare full meals using your infusion. Secondly, once you learn how easy it is to make, you can make your own Cannabutter all the time without having to visit your dispensary. Ever wonder what you’re going to do with all that extra flower you have lying around? Simply use it to make Cannabutter and never waste any of your buds.
It’s important to note before we get into the methods that raw cannabis is not psychoactive. The buds need to be heated to a specific temperature, or decarboxylated, “decarbed” to ensure its compounds are activated. To do so, some of the methods suggested below will have an option for that, otherwise you can simply use your oven.
To decarb using an oven:
- Preheat your oven to 225 degrees
- Use a baking sheet and put a piece of aluminum foil down
- Grind up your bud and spread it out across the baking sheet
- Bake for 45 minutes or until the bud is a light golden brown.
After you have decarbed, one of the methods below will help you infuse it with the butter.
4 Methods to Make Cannabutter
There are various ways to make Cannabutter today. A quick peek into your pantry can help you decide which method you’d like to use to make your own at-home edibles.
Cannabutter Machine / Cannabutter Maker
The Magic Butter Machine is a user-friendly kitchen appliance specially made for infusions. Simply pop your buds into the canister along with your oil or melted butter and select the appropriate setting on the machine. When the timer is up, strain your butter using the supplied tools and voila! Cannbutter. A great alternative to the Magic Butter Machine is the Ecru Butter Maker. The Ecru decarbs and infuses your buds in a sleek and modern aesthetic like the Decarb Kit with 4 simple presets. The STX Infuzium can infuse up to 10 sticks of butter at once and is equipped with molds and tools for making a variety of edibles. The Haavitech is a 2 Stick Butter Maker bears the same functionality of the other maker on a smaller scale, an easy way to make Cannabutter for one or for anyone working with a small kitchen or limited storage.
Instant Pot Cannabutter
Using the nifty Instant Pot to make cannabis comes along with a few essential steps. This one has a built in step for decarbing as well.
- Grind up half an ounce of your favorite decarbed cannabis flower
- Place the ground flower in a canning jar and insert it into the canning ring in your Instant Pot
- Set to Pressure Cook for 40 minutes
- Melt butter and pour into the canning jar and mix the flower and the butter together
- Cover with a new lid and set to Pressure Cook on high for 20 minutes, add the “keep warm” setting
- Once completed, allow the Instant Pot to naturally release pressure for 40 minutes
- Grab your oven mitts and strain the mixture using a cheesecloth. Pour into a jar and pop your Cannabutter in the fridge for safe keeping.
Crock Pot Cannabutter
- Add half an ounce of decarbed cannabis flower into mason jars with an even amount of 1 pound cubed butter dispersed amongst each jar
- Add water filling half the crock pot and set to 180 degrees
- Add jars into the heated water and allow to cook in the crock pot for up to 8 hours. Be sure to stir the cannabis and butter every once in a while
- Once completed, strain your mixtures through cheesecloth, place back into clean jars, cover and store in your fridge
Stove Top Cannabutter
The tried and true method of Cannabutter cooking is based on the stove top.
- In a medium saucepan on very low heat, add water and butter
- When the butter is melted, add the decarbed cannabis. Mix together with a wooden spoon and cover with a lid. Let mixture gently simmer for 4 hours, stirring every half hour. Make sure your butter isn’t burning! Use a thermometer to ensure the temperature stays between 160-180°
- Once the cooking is completed and the mixture is slightly cooled, strain with a cheesecloth into a container. Once cooled, use the butter immediately or store in the fridge or freezer in an airtight container for up to six months.
Easy Cannabutter Recipes
Once you’ve cooked your own Cannabutter, you’re ready to start using it in recipes of your choosing. Don’t fret, there are tons of easy recipes to choose from.
These easy, 4 ingredient peanut butter cookies are sure to please. Replace peanut butter with any nut butter of your choosing.
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar + some for sprinkling on top of cookies
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup Cannabutter, softened
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Using a tablespoon, drop onto cookie sheets. Press down with a fork in a criss-cross and sprinkle with sugar in the raw. Cook for 8 minutes or until slightly golden brown.
Buttercream Canna Frosting
Adapted from Magnolia Bakery Buttercream Frosting recipe.
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cannabutter, softened
- 8 cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Food coloring (optional)
Place the cannabutter in a large mixing bowl. Add 4 cups of the sugar and then the milk and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and creamy. Gradually add the remaining sugar, 1 cup at a time, until the icing is thick enough to spread. Add a few drops of food coloring (optional). Frost cupcakes, cookies, cake, or use as a sweet dip. Serve at room temperature.
Basic Cannabutter Dosing
Figuring out what the proper dosage is when cooking with Cannbutter can be difficult. Typically, when baking cookies or brownies, one serving is the proper dosage, however, since edibles can be tricky, it’s best to consult a dosage calculator or start with a small piece and work your way up to determine what dosage is best for you.
If you have guests or small children in your house, it’s imperative that you take preventative safety measures when making and storing your Cannabutter or homemade edible products. Be sure to label your Cannabutter properly and ensure your containers are sealed and stored away from the curious hands of your children.
Time to Make Cannabutter!
Now that we’ve gone over the basics of making Cannabutter at home, it’s time to get cooking! At Bud’s Goods, we pride ourselves in providing the best buds at good prices, which is why we’re happy to share these easy Cannabutter recipes with you. The next time you’re scoping out our menu or stopping into one of our 3 dispensary locations, speak with our budtenders about which flower would be best for creating your own at-home edibles. Save money while getting creative at home and craft tasty delights for yourself, family, or friends.
There are so many ways to create delicious edibles at home today. Make your Cannabutter with simple kitchen tools, or opt to order one of the many easy to use, high-tech cannabis infusion machines available to order on the web. Whatever you choose, knowing how to create your own Cannabutter is a surefire way to provide cannabis relief through edibles – one of the most popular methods of consumption today. Remember that edibles hit everyone differently and it can take up to two hours to feel their effects. That being said, enjoy your baked goods with caution.
Whether you’re shopping online or in store at our Worcester, Abington, or Watertown locations, stop by a Bud’s Goods near you and shop the best cannabis deals Massachusetts has to offer.